Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend - Friday - Orcas, Orcas!

On April 25th, I started the Marine Naturalist course at the Whale Museum in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. The course was 5 weeks long, with the last two sessions being held on Memorial Day weekend. I chose to spend the entire long weekend on the island and was very glad I did!

I arrived on Friday, and went straight from the ferry to Lime Kiln State Park, also known as Whale Watch Park.  The orcas had not yet arrived so I enjoyed the picnic lunch I had packed, read my book, and waited. They did not disappoint!

We had heard that J Pod was spread out, and that proved to be true. At around 2:00pm Ruffles (pictured above) showed up, followed close behind by Granny. 

We then waited for about an hour and the rest of the group arrived. You can see more photos from May 22, along with others from the weekend at Whales And Sails, Etc.   Click on NEW Orca Photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment